- Power Ledger
- POWR -0.88%
- Coin Supply: 1,000,000,000
- 24H Vol: $630,247
|Top Power Ledger Wallets|
|Top Power Ledger Exchanges|
Power Ledger Coin (POWR) – The Definitive Guide
About this guide: Our Power Ledger (POWR) guide aims to tell you everything you need to know about POWR. We’ll explain what POWR is, what the project does, have a look at the future of Power Ledger and give our opinion on its investment potential. Through its promotion of clean energy, we also believe that Power Ledger will make the world a better place. This makes it perfect for those that wish to invest ethically. As always, we do urge caution before investing in any cryptocurrency and encourage you to do your own research.
- 1 What Is Power Ledger (POWR)?
- 2 How Will The POWR Token Be Used? What On Earth Are Sparks Tokens?
- 3 Why Is Power Ledger A Blockchain Project?
- 4 Power Ledger App’s
- 5 The Power Ledger Team
- 6 Who Is Backing the Project?
- 7 The Power Ledger ICO
- 8 Should I Invest In Power Ledger?
- 9 How To Buy POWR?
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Resources
What Is Power Ledger (POWR)?
Power Ledger is an energy trading platform that allows consumers with solar panels to sell their excess power locally. The current energy system is about as geared up to buy and distribute home produced electricity, as super markets are to process home grown vegetables. The reason is that the current system is simplified and not able to cope with the added complexity of home grown power.
The traditional energy system comprises of large power stations that push energy through networks to customers, who then get their energy at preset price. Power Ledger envisions a world where power stations are actually solar panels on people’s roofs. Neighbours will buy and sell energy from each other, with energy flowing from power producers to consumers in many different directions. Power Ledger can deal with this level of complexity, whilst using the current energy infrastructure whereas the traditional energy suppliers cannot.
The Power Ledger energy trading platform is simply a marketplace for energy producers to sell their excess power and consumers to buy green energy. Instead of having a fixed price (like with an energy company), the market determines the price of clean energy. The existence of this marketplace disrupts the ability of centralized energy companies to fix prices.
Power Ledger Solves 3 main problems in the energy sector:
- Green energy generators: want a more profitable way to sell excess power. Currently, these producers can only sell to energy companies who set the prices they buy energy at.
- Energy customers: need access to cheaper green energy. Right now customers options are limited, most do not have the freedom to specify if the energy they use is green or not. Instead customers use whatever power the energy company gives them.
- Energy companies: require a solution to accommodate the growing trend towards green energy.
How Will The POWR Token Be Used? What On Earth Are Sparks Tokens?
The first thing to know is that Power Ledger has two different tokens.
- POWR: Is the token you can invest in.
- The token is the fuel of the ecosystem.
- POWR is used to enable users to access the platform.
- The Sparkz token is created in exchange for POWR tokens.
- POWR tokens are given to early adopters as a reward.
- Only the POWR token is available to be bought and sold on cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Sparks: This token simply represents the value of traded energy. The value of the Spark token will change from country to country. The idea is that one Spark will equal the lowest currency denomination in the country that the Power Ledger system is being used. In the US this would be 1 cent. So one Spark would equal a cent in America.
Why Is Power Ledger A Blockchain Project?
For Power Ledger’s green energy trading platform to work, they need to be able to track every unit of energy traded. Without tracking, the marketplace would simply not function properly or be trusted by either energy producers or buyers of clean energy.
Fortunately for Power Ledger, blockchain technology is well suited to handle all their energy tracking needs. The blockchain technology creates a publically viewable ledger of all energy trades, hence the name: Power Ledger.
In addition to tracking energy units traded on the Power Ledger platform, blockchain technology also tracks the monetary value of these transactions.
Power Ledger App’s
So far we have only looked at Power Ledger’s person to person trading App. The ecosystem actually has another 9 more apps! All of them have one thing in common and that is to promote the exchange of clean energy.
- Autonomous Asset Management: Is a management platform for renewable energy asses e.g. solar panels. The application is used for:
- Shared ownership of renewable energy assets e.g. you and your friend can own half a solar panel each.
- Trading green energy assets.
- Distributed Market Management: Allows the collection of big data, meter data, access rights to energy assets, fast transaction settlement, network load balancing and more.
- Wholesale Market Settlement: Offers fast, low-cost and transparent:
- Data aggregation.
- Transaction execution for wholesale energy marketplaces.
- Neo-Retailer: The platform provides retailers with clever demand and supply management, e.g. increased power supply may be anticipated at half-time in a big football game from people putting on the kettle. It also monitors customers with a risk of not being supplied.
- Microgrid / Embedded Network Operator / Strata: Essentially this enables grid management and the collection of big data.
- Electric Vehicles: Enables real time metering data, collection of data, user identification and fast transaction settlement. Essentially this enables owners of electric car chargers to charge users for filling up their Tesla with more juice.
Power Port: Basically if your electric car runs out of juice on the road, you will need a energy source to get going again. Power Port is the platform that gets you the help you need.
- Carbon Trading: Carbon contracts can be traded via smart contracts.
- Transmission Exchange: Helps with the management of transmission networks. The platform provides data and access rights to users.
The Power Ledger Team
Investors and supports of cryptocurrency projects love to see a massive vision, but also need to have confidence that the team is capable of making it happen. Where on earth do we start? Power Ledger has one of the bigger teams in the cryptocurrency space, with 28 team members.
We have had a look at the whole Power Ledger team and they certainly seem to be capable and we are confident they will drive the project forward to great things. There is little doubt that Dr Jemma Green is a team superstar. Indeed, we are sure many investors have backed the project just because of her.
Co-founder & Chair – Dr Jemma Green: Any crypto project would be lucky to have her. Not only is she University of Cambridge educated, but she has spent the last 5 years as a research fellow at Curtin University. Her research over there is focused on disruptive tech, energy and blockchain.
Dr Green is also chair of the Climate Knowledge Innovation Community of Australia. In this role, she has focussed on devising a national response to climate change and global solutions.
Recently Dr Green has taken a position on the Board of the Australian Water Corporation and all this is in addition to her role at Power Ledger. There seems little doubt that Dr Green is intent on making the world a better place and operates at both a national and global scale. She also has significant blockchain experience to boot.
Dr. Jemma Green Interview.
Who Is Backing the Project?
To achieve big things, projects need big partners and that’s exactly what Power Ledger has.
- The Australian Government: Have shown their support for the project by granting $8 million in funding.
- Thai Government Backed BCPG: BCPG is a renewable energy developer and the partnership aspires to bring the Power Ledger platform to Thailand.
- Not For Profit Helpanswers: The organisation was founded by Mark Johnson, who served as the lead for a multi billion dollar program at the U.S. Department of Energy. The Power Ledger and Helpanswers partnership will bring renewable energy trading to the USA.
- Tech Mahindra Ltd: Is one of the publicly listed tech companies in India. In September 2017 they announced a partnership with Power Ledger to develop “a new mechanism of electricity production through ‘Microgrid-as-a-Service’ (MaaS).”
- Liechtenstein Institute for Strategic Development: Have partnered up with Power Ledger in November 2017, with the goal of bringing Power Ledger’s peer to peer trading platform to Europe.
- Origin Energy: Is one of Australia’s largest energy providers.They partnered up with Power Ledger to test its energy trading platform. Tony Lucas the CEO of Origin Energy made the following statement:
“While it’s still fairly early days for this technology, we are keen to explore the potential benefits that peer-to-peer energy trading could offer our customers. Power Ledger is one of a number of emerging technologies we’re currently exploring, which we believe could help us meet the changing needs of our customers.”
The Power Ledger ICO
The Power Ledger ICO kicked off on the 8th September 2017. $13.2 million dollars was raised, with the POWR token commanding a price of 9 cents per token.
The token first hit cryptocurrency exchanges on the 1st November 2017 at a price of 5.6 cents per token. ICO investors initially took a loss on their investment. Those that HOLD’d saw POWR reach an all time high of $2.00 on the 4th January 2018. We love Power Ledger’s goal to disrupt the renewable energy sector and will certainly be monitoring the project closely.
Should I Invest In Power Ledger?
It’s entirely your decision whether you invest in Power ledger or not. We are happy to give you our thoughts on the project though:
- If the project is successful, it will result in a lot of good in the world. Most people would agree that global warming is one of the biggest problems of our time.
- Tracking energy is a great use case for blockchain technology.
- Impressive team that look capable for executing – in particular Dr. Jemma Green.
- The use of the POWR token in the Power Ledger ecosystem makes sense.
- An impressive list of partner, some of these being national governments or state backed energy companies. Geographically these partnerships are smart and mean that Power Ledger will have a presence in the USA, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- It remains to be seen if energy companies will use Power Ledger as a platform or will try and build their own platforms
- Will the project really be adopted at scale?
- Other crypto projects have entered the market and are doing essentially the same thing e.g. WePower.
How To Buy POWR?
We’ve put together a separate article with complete instructions on exactly how to buy Power Ledger using a number of different methods!
We think that any project that encourages renewable energy adoption is great and certainly a worthwhile cause. Power Ledger have already bagged themselves some massive partnerships (even at national level) and we are sure there will be many more in the future.
The project does seem to solve a real problem for renewable energy producers, whilst giving customers the option of buying green local energy. We believe that many people in developed countries will embrace the option of buying clean energy, over fossil fuel or nuclear generated alternatives.
We really love the Power Ledger project and it is a great example of how cryptocurrency can make the world a better place. The Total Crypto Team will certainly be following the Power Ledger project and we cannot wait to see what they achieve.
Below we’ve listed some key resources relevant to Power Ledger (POWR).
🔒 Safest POWR Wallets
Hardware wallets are the safest crypto storage solutions available. These wallets store your private keys and do not expose them to the outside world, making your crypto as safe as possible. Maybe you should treat your crypto like the million dollars it could well be worth one day?
Can’t decide if Trezor or Ledger is best for you? Just check out our Ledger Vs Trezor comparison guide.
👍 Best Free Wallets
As POWR is a ERC-20 token, you can use a wallet that is compatible with Ethereum.
📈 Best Apps To Track Your POWR Investment
Want to learn more about Power Ledger’s green energy trading platform? Everything is revealed in the Power Ledger white paper.