So, you have read our Ultimate Guide on QTUM and believe the project is going places. You will probably have one simple question that we’d like to answer: How to buy QTUM? This article will give you a straightforward answer with a number of options and let you know the safest way to store it.
- 1 Are You Too Late To Buy QTUM?
- 2 How High Could QTUM Go?
- 3 How to Buy QTUM – Our Best 3 Ways Explained
- 4 Buying QTUM With Fiat
- 5 Buying QTUM With Crypto
- 6 Setting Up A QTUM Wallet
- 7 Storing Your QTUM In The Safest Possible Way
- 8 Create A Changelly Exchange Account
- 9 Buying On Changelly
- 10 The Easy Way To Buy & Sell QTUM
- 11 Need Help Understanding Trading?
- 12 Conclusion
Are You Too Late To Buy QTUM?
QTUM first hit the exchanges with a price point of $6.42 on the 24th May 2017. On the 7th of Jan 2018, it hit it’s all time high of $106.33. Since then, QTUM has re-traced significantly and at the time of writing is way below it’s all time high. Here at TotalCrypto, we like to follow the simple rule: if a coin is at an all time high, do not buy. You can check how close QTUM is to it’s all time high here.
As with investing in any cryptocurrency, we think about returns as multiples on our initial investment. It’s quite simple: the lower off an all time high you can buy, the more tokens you get and this means that the potential return multiples you can get are greater. Your entry point into a cryptocurrency position is one of the most important factors when it comes to these markets.
In short, you are not too late to buy QTUM and investment in the project has only been possible for around a year. The more important question is what price are you getting it at?
Our friends at AltCoinBuzz shared their thoughts on QTUM’s price in Dec 2017.
How High Could QTUM Go?
QTUM is a developer platform that decentralized applications are built on top of. This puts the project in the same category as Ethereum, NEO, EOS, Cardano, Lisk and more. You may realise that all these developer platforms have one thing in common: they tend to dominate spots in the top 100 most valuable cryptocurrencies. They are also very well represented in the top 20 or top 10 cryptocurrencies as well. Developer platforms are simply one of, if not the, most valuable type of cryptocurrency project.
We believe the crypto market still has a lot of expanding to do and that we are still in the early adopter phase. Who knows what the cryptocurrency market could be worth in 5 years time.
Just for fun we will take Ethereum’s all time high (ATH) and work out how much QTUM would be worth it hit the same market cap.
QTUM is one of the cheaper developer platform plays and if you want to find out why we are so excited about the project, just check out our Ultimate Guide on QTUM. Ultimately, its a matter of if you think application developers will choose QTUM over other options. Right now, we still believe it’s early days but when we compare it’s valuation against other projects like EOS, NEO and Ethereum, we think investors could be handsomely rewarded (if they get in at the right price).
How to Buy QTUM – Our Best 3 Ways Explained
In this guide we will show you three ways to get exposure to QTUM. It’s for you to decide which is the correct option for you.
- Our first option will be ideal for those that do not hold any cryptocurrency at the moment and want to actually own QTUM. This process will include setting up accounts at Coinbase and a cryptocurrency exchange. It may be a little daunting to those new to the crypto market, but we will show you how to do it.
- Our second way to buy QTUM is for those that already own cryptocurrency and wish to trade directly. We will let you know the easiest exchange to use.
- Our final way to get exposure to QTUM through the IQ OPTION CFD broker. This is ideal for anyone who wants to buy and sell QTUM with just a single account or want to trade the crypto. CFD means ‘Contract For Difference’, which is a contract backed by QTUM. This means you are exposed to the price fluctuations of the asset, without actually owning it or having to store it yourself.
Buying QTUM With Fiat
If you are wanting to actually own QTUM this method is for you. You should be aware that you will have to setup a wallet to store your crypto too. You could buy it entirely through the Changelly exchange, by buying Bitcoin and trading it for QTUM.
However, we find the staggering of deposit limits and high bank fees of $16 per transaction to be poor value. The highest transaction limit for your first fiat deposit on Changelly is only $200 and can be as low as $50 if you are in the US, Canada or Australia. We feel that most investors are better off using Coinbase with their higher deposit limits and lower relative fees. After all, it’s not much fun if you’re from the US and are only allowed to deposit $50 initially and end up paying a $16 bank fee. We do go over all the fiat payment limitations on Changelly in our comprehensive guide.
We know there may seem to be a lot of different steps, but we are going to let you know the easiest and most efficient method to get your hands on QTUM.
Buying QTUM With Crypto
Simply skip over all the stages to do with Coinbase.
Create A Coinbase Account
Coinbase Key Facts
- Established Track Record: Coinbase was founded in 2012 and is the world’s most popular cryptocurrency exchange.
- Serious Backers: Venture capital firm IVP, who were involved in the latest funding round, have been early investors in businesses like Netflix and Twitter. Other investors include companies like the New York Stock Exchange.
- Easy To Use: Coinbase is renowned for it’s easy to use interface. This makes it the perfect exchange for cryptocurrency newcomers.
- Small Minimum Deposit: You can invest as little as €6 into cryptocurrencies on Coinbase.
- Regulated: Coinbase is one of the few cryptocurrency exchanges to be regulated.
- Insurance: Customer funds are insured and segregated. US customers are even insured up to a balance of $250,000.
- Deposit Methods : Credit / debit card, bank transfer and PayPal for US customers.
- Tradable Cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin.
- Customer Support Methods: Email and FAQ’s.
Looking to invest more than $100 in QTUM by using Coinbase? Good news! You will also get $10 FREE by signing up through Total Crypto!
Buying Bitcoin or Ethereum On Coinbase
Once you have created your Coinbase account, just convert your fiat into Ethereum or Bitcoin. You want to do this because the major QTUM markets on exchanges are QTUM/BTC or ETH.
The fastest way to buy Bitcoin or Ethereum on Coinbase
- Head over to the ‘Buy/Sell’ page on your account.
- Add a payment method to your Coinbase account.
- Choose your deposit method: You can deposit a ‘Bank Account’ transfer – this method has lower deposit fees, but the transfer takes between 2 and 5 days to be credited to your Coinbase account. Or you can deposit instantly through a Credit/Debit card. With either method, just enter your payment details and process the transaction to fund your account. Once submitted, just sit back and wait for the credit to be applied to your account. You will get an email to telling you when your deposit has been successful.
- Once your account is funded, select Bitcoin or Ethereum in the ‘Buy/Sell’ section of Coinbase.
- Enter the amount of crypto you want to buy.
- Select the currency wallet you deposited funds into as your payment method (we have used EUR in this example).
- Complete your order by clicking buy.
Checkout our Coinbase guide if you are interested in buying Ethereum and Bitcoin on Coinbase with the lowest fees possible. It does take a bit more time though and involves transferring your funds to Coinbase’s sister exchange GDAX and buying your crypto there instead. We do recommend using GDAX and saving yourself some fees.
Once you have your ETH or BTC in your Coinbase account move onto the next step.
Setting Up A QTUM Wallet
We recommend using the FREE official QTUM wallet.
- Head over to the official QTUM wallet download page here. Select the device you want to instal your QTUM wallet on. Then simply select the operating system you are running. In our example we will use desktop on a MAC operating system.
- Once the wallet download is complete make sure it’s installed properly. With MAC, we just move the wallet to our applications folder.
- You will then see the QTUM wallet in your applications folder:
- If you try and open the application, do not be alarmed when you see that QTUM Core is from an unidentified developer.
- To enable the official QTUM wallet just hit system preferences and click ‘Security & Privacy’.
- Once in ‘Security & Privacy’ you will see a message that QTUM Core was blocked. Just click ‘Open Anyway’ to enable.
- QTUM Core Wallet will then open and you will see your computer downloading the QTUM ledger. This will take a bit of time and is best done overnight.
- You can find your QTUM receive address by clicking ’Receive” > ‘Request Payment’ > then you will see your wallet address.
Congratulations: you have done it. Your QTUM wallet is ready to go and you have your receive wallet address to send it to.
Storing Your QTUM In The Safest Possible Way
The free official wallet is a great way to store your QTUM. However, some investors will be interested in getting the best security money can buy. The most secure way to store your QTUM is with a hardware wallet.
What makes a hardware wallet secure? Hardware wallets store your private keys and keep them safe from keyloggers and phishing attempts. In fact, with a hardware wallet you won’t even know your QTUM private key yourself, so it’s practically impossible for it to ever be exposed to the outside world.
The Ledger Nano S is QTUM compatible and has it’s own dedicated QTUM app. Ledger wallets are talked of highly in the cryptocurrency community and are renowned for their excellent security. We use one ourselves to store our QTUM and thoroughly recommend it.
€94.80 (including European tax and free shipping)
Need help setting up your Ledger? Just have a look at our step by step guide.
Create A Changelly Exchange Account
To invest in QTUM, you will need to trade your Bitcoin or Ethereum for it. To do this you will need an exchange and that’s where Changelly comes in. We have chosen Changelly as we think out of all the exchanges that offer QTUM, it is the easiest to use. As we have said before, you can buy Bitcoin directly through Changelly and entirely cut out the Coinbase step. Whilst it may be quicker, it does not give you the best bang for their buck. What is more important to you?
Changelly Key Facts:
- Big Decentralized Exchange: Changelly have over 1.5 million registered users.
- Large Selection Of Cryptos: Over 65 cryptos are available on the exchange.
- User Friendly: They have made using decentralized easy.
- Buy Crypto With Fiat: Visa and Mastercard are accepted to buy Bitcoin.
- Trust: Large community support and made by the team behind Minergate (a BTC miner pool from all the way back in 2013). Partnerships with well established wallets have been made including Jaxx and Coinomi.
- Support: The best way to get support is through email at: [email protected] As with most exchanges don’t expect this to be lightening fast.
- No Withdrawal Fees: Unlike other cryptocurrency exchanges, Changelly charges no fees to get your crypto sent to your wallet.
Want buy QTUM on what’s perhaps the world’s most popular decentralised crypto exchange?
Buying On Changelly
The first thing you need to do is to head over to the Changelly homepage (when logged into your account). Select the cryptocurrency you have, then enter the amount you wish to trade and select QTUM as the crypto you will get. Finally, just click the exchange button.
You will then see a screen confirming the trade details. This includes information like the fee you will pay, the amount of QTUM you will get and the estimated arrival time.
Enter Your Receive Wallet Address
You should have already setup your QTUM wallet in the previous step and have access to your recieve wallet address. Simply copy and paste wallet address into this field.
Confirming The Trade
You will then see a screen with the trade details. It’s super important you double check your recieve wallet address is correct. If you are happy, just click confirm.
Completing The Trade
You will then see the payment directions to swap your crypto for QTUM. We have used Ethereum in this example, so for our order to be processed we simply send 1 Ethereum to the address on screen. Once sent, your QTUM should be in your wallet within 30 mins.
For those that have Bitcoin or Ethereum on Coinbase and are wondering how to send it to Changelly:
- Login to Coinbase and go to the ‘Accounts’ tab.
- Click the send button for whatever cryptocurrency you hold.
- Paste the Changelly send address into the ‘Recipient’ wallet address box and enter the amount you want to withdraw.
- Click send and you have sent your crypto to Changelly.
- Just sit back and wait for your QTUM to hit your wallet.
The Easy Way To Buy & Sell QTUM
Looked through the methods above and think they sound like too much hassle? Or do you want to trade QTUM instead? If so, then we have the perfect option for you. IQ Option is a contract for difference broker. In a nutshell, you will not directly own or have to store QTUM. Instead you are buying and selling contracts that are backed by QTUM. This means you have all the exposure to the QTUM price, with just one single account and don’t need to bother with storage considerations.
The Benefits of IQ Option
- Unlike other cryptocurrency exchanges, IQ Option is regulated.
- There are simply a much wider array of deposit options Vs. someone like Coinbase. If you want to get exposure to QTUM using payment methods like Skrill or Neteller, then IQ Option is for you.
- We find customer support to be much better at IQ Option than other cryptocurrency exchanges.
- On CFD brokers like IQ Option you don’t have to worry about crypto storage considerations such as setting up wallets.
IQ Option Key Facts
- Established – IQ Option was founded in 2013.
- Global Presence – IQ Option has an astonishing global presence, serving 231 countries and counting. With over 25 million registered users, you know you are in safe hands with one of the largest CFD brokers out there.
- Tradeable Cryptocurrencies – IQ Option has the largest range of crypto currencies offered by any CFD broker we know. These include: Ripple, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Neo, Stellar, EOS, Dash, Ethereum Classic, Tron, OmiseGo, Qtum, Zcash and Bitcoin Gold. This makes IQ Option the perfect choice for anyone who might be interested in the opportunity of investing in a wider range of cryptocurrencies.
- Lowest Min Deposit Requirement – IQ Option gives everyone the chance to participate in cryptocurrency trading. It’s $10 minimum deposit limit is the lowest out of all the CFD brokers by a country mile.
- Deposit Methods – IQ Option supports the following deposit methods: Visa, Visa Electron, Maestro, Mastercard, wire transfer, CashU, Skrill Netller, Webmoney, iDeal, Fasa Pay and Boleto.
- Customer Support Methods – Phone, post and email.
IQ Option sound correct for you? Get Cracking On IQ Option Now!
RISK WARNING: YOUR CAPITAL MIGHT BE AT RISK
General Risk Warning: The financial products offered by the company carry a high level of risk and can result in the loss of all your funds. You should never invest money that you cannot afford to lose.
Need Help Understanding Trading?
If you are interested in getting exposure to QTUM though IQ Option and do not understand trading, we recommend you check out our Day Trading Cryptocurrency 101 Guide.
We also recommend you check out our in-depth article on Technical Analysis and trading strategies to help you.
It is very important that you know what you are doing before placing your first trade on a CFD broker like IQ Option. It’s real money you are risking after all.
So there you have it, now you know exactly how to buy QTUM and the different options available to you. It’s completely up to you whether you invest in QTUM and what method you use you choose to do so. The TotalCrypto Team is going to be following the QTUM project closely and we are optimistic about its future.
For full disclosure, we do hold a position in QTUM and consider it a long term hold.
More Reading: Want to find out more about QTUM? We recommend checking out our complete guide to the project.