About this guide: Our guide will go through everything you need to know to use the Changelly cryptocurrency exchange. We will show you how to create a Changelly account and get you on the path to using the exchange. As always, we need to remind you to not invest money you cannot afford to lose. We also encourage you to do your own research.
Who Are Changelly?
Changelly is a decentralized cryptocurrency exchange. This means that users do not need to go through any ID verification processes, unlike with centralized exchanges. The exchange was founded in 2015 and since then has acquired over 1.5 million registered users.
The company is located in Prague in the Czech Republic and is well respected and trusted by the cryptocurrency community. We like how simple Changelly makes buying cryptocurrency. We also love that Changelly is not purely a crypto to crypto exchange like Binance and actually allows you to buy Bitcoin directly with Visa or Mastercard.
Changelly have focused on making things as simple as possible for users. We at TotalCrypto find the layout extremely user friendly and easy to understand. This extends to things like fees, which are very straightforward with a flat fee of 0.5% for each trade.
Why Open A Changelly Account?
Most people don’t like lengthy ID verification processes or having to own multiple accounts at different exchanges to get their hands on the coins they want. There is a great need for a simple to use one stop shop. Unfortunately, we have not quite got there in the cryptocurrency market, but Changelly has perhaps made the best attempt of it, at the time of writing.
Changelly has a fiat gateway which allows users to buy Bitcoin with a Visa or Mastercard. We think this is great but would love to see more payment methods added in the future and a simple multi crypto wallet. However, we find it hard to fault the simplicity of the exchange’s layout and feel it is one of the strongest decentralized exchanges out there currently.
What Cryptocurrencies Can I Buy On Changelly?
When choosing an exchange this is the most important factor, along with security considerations. There is simply no point in making an account at an exchange if the cryptocurrency you want is not available.
New coins are constantly being added to Changelly, so do keep your eyes peeled. We will make every effort to keep this list as up to date as possible though.
Fiat Payment Information
The first thing you need to know before pulling out your Visa or Mastercard and buying Bitcoin on Changelly with fiat is that you can use any currency but this will be converted into USD or EUR.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter!
Want expert cryptocurrency knowledge and investment tips delivered straight to your inbox? Just enter your email below.
There are also some restrictions on the first few fiat payments you make:
- 🇺🇸 🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Have the following limitations:
- First transaction is restricted to $50.
- Second transaction can be made 4 days afterwards and is limited to $100.
- Third transaction is restricted to $500 and can be done 7 days after your first initial purchase.
- Finally: After one month, all restrictions are lifted and you can buy as much Bitcoin as you want.
- 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇧🇾🇰🇿🇦🇲🇬🇪 These countries have the following restrictions:
- First transaction is limited to $200.
- The second limit increase is done in 24 hours.
- In the first week after your initial card transaction, you will have a total limit of $2,000.
- For the first month the total limit is $10,000.
- Finally: After one month, you should be able to buy Bitcoin with no further restrictions.
- 🇪🇺🌍 Countries in the EU and the rest of the world have the same restrictions on the exchange:
- First transaction is restricted to $100.
- 4 days later a second transaction can be made with a $200 limit.
- 1 week after the first purchase, limits are raised to $500.
- Payments in the first week are restricted to a total of 6 transactions.
- Finally: After one month you will have not limits on your Changelly account at all.
We know this process might be annoying to some people. The silver lining is that Changelly essentially forces you to dollar cost average. We will discuss this strategy, and what it can do for you, as a final thought in this article.
How To Open A Changelly Account?
Changelly Key Facts:
- Big Decentralized Exchange: Changelly have over 1.5 million registered users.
- Large Selection Of Cryptos: Over 65 cryptos are available on the exchange.
- User Friendly: They have made using decentralized easy.
- Buy Crypto With Fiat: Visa and Mastercard are accepted to buy Bitcoin.
- Trust: Large community support and made by the team behind Minergate (a BTC miner pool from all the way back in 2013). Partnerships with well established wallets have been made including Jaxx and Coinomi.
- Support: The best way to get support is through email at: [email protected]. As with most exchanges don’t expect this to be lightening fast.
- No Withdrawal Fees: Unlike other cryptocurrency exchanges, Changelly charges to fees to get your crypto sent to your wallet.
Want an account on what’s perhaps the world’s most popular decentralised crypto exchange?
Checkout Changelly’s official video on how to trade cryptocurrencies on the exchange.
Once you are on the site simply click ‘Sign Up’.
Enter Your Email Address
You will see a pop up form asking for your email address. Just enter it.
Your Account Password
Your password will be sent to your email address.
Changing Your Password
Hit ‘My Account’ and click ‘Profile’. You then get the option of changing your password to something you can actually remember and enable 2FA.
Your account is now ready to go. It really is that simple.
How To Buy Bitcoin Using Fiat On Changelly?
It’s super simple to do this on the exchange. Just make sure you have read up on the limits in the ‘Fiat Payment Information’ section of this article.
First step is to simply slick the ‘Buy Bitcoin with Credit Card’ button on the homepage.
Enter Your Bitcoin Wallet Address
You will then be prompted to enter your Bitcoin wallet address. This will be the wallet address that Changelly will send your Bitcoin to. If you have not got a BTC wallet yet and want some help, just checkout our cryptocurrency wallet guide.
Fill In Your Payment Details
Then just enter your payment details, as your would for making any other online purchase.
Once you have completed sending the money, you should get your Bitcoin in 10 to 30 minutes. It’s literally that simple.
Already Have Crypto And Want To Use The Exchange?
A lot of us are already fortunate enough to already be HODL’ers of cryptocurrency. For those that want to trade their crypto for a new investment, we will show you how.
Setting Up A Trade On Changelly
The first thing you want to do, is to navigate to the Changelly homepage. Then simply select the cryptocurrency you have and the one that you want to trade it for. In this example we have used BTC and Golem.
You will then see how much of the cryptocurrency you will get from the trade. If you are happy with this, then click the ‘exchange’ button.
You will then be taken to a screen showing the exact trade, the fee you will pay and the estimated arrival time of your crypto. Usually this is between 5 and 30 minutes. Seriously, that fast.
Enter Your Recieve Wallet Address
For Changelly to send you the crypto you want, obviously you need to tell them where to send it. Just enter the wallet address you want it to go.
Confirm The Trade
You will then be asked to confirm the details of the trade. Ensure you triple check that the crypto is going to the correct wallet address. Once you are happy just click ‘confirm and make payment’
Sending Your Crypto To Complete The Trade
You will then get a wallet address to send your crypto. Simply send the transaction for the correct amount in a single transaction. Then sit back and wait 5 to 30 mins for your new crypto to arrive.
Congratulations: you have completed your first trade on Changelly.
As always, it is completely up to you whether you choose to use the Changelly exchange or not. We can share our thoughts on it though:
- Super easy and simple user interface. Changelly makes it simple to swap one cryptocurrency for another.
- Fast account creation process.
- Unlike other exchanges, there are no withdrawal fees.
- Option to buy Bitcoin with Visa or Mastercard.
- Trades are fast.
- Created by the well respected Minergate team.
- Support could be quicker.
- As with most options for buying crypto with fiat, there are pretty high fees to do this.
- The exchange rate on Changelly is around 1.6% worse than the average market rate. This means the overall fee you are paying to use the exchange is actually higher than the 0.5% advertised.
In conclusion, we believe that Changelly is a great, user friendly, decentralized exchange and we are happy to recommend it to Total Crypto users.